Saturday, June 16, 2007

''Family Matters'', Rohinton Mistry

Sitting in my temporary apartment overlooking Quincy Market in Boston it's hard to process the fact that I bought this book on one of the busiest, dirtiest streets in the middle of Calcutta, and that that was only 2 months ago. But strange as it may seem for last minute shopping in India (saris? incense? no, English books), there was a reason - Penguin Indian-edition books are GBP2.99. Bargain! Especially for someone who's been living abroad for so long and used to paying a premium. Unfortunately that mentality is now about to get me in trouble as I live in a city of endless bookstores all selling books in English at low prices. Ludicrously, I can even buy books without leaving my office given it's bizarre location in a shopping mall.
Given how much I liked the first Mistry book I read (see below) I thought I would read a second. This time, however, instead of reading in hotel rooms in the Himalayas, it was more of an airport lounge, business-trip read. Therefore I take some personal responsibility for not liking it so much, which I'm sure will relieve Mr. Mistry considerably. There's no doubt that context can make a difference: I read Conrad's "Heart of Darkness'' whilst sitting in my concrete shack in Malawi with no electric light - now that's atmospheric. So I guess it's not surprising that a story of a Mumbai family didn't resonate with me quite so much this time. This book has a lot of similarities with ''A Fine Balance'', although the characters are quite a bit less sympathetic, and there's something of the Soap Opera feel about it. So if wasn't obvious enough already, if you fancy a bit of Mistry I'd recommend ''A Fine Balance'' first. And then maybe you can be a more attentive student than me and give this one a bettter shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home